10775 27th Ave SE, Becker, Sherburne County, Minnesota 55308 / 763-261-4433
Staff at the Sherburne History Center is always happy to help you with your research questions. Please read our research policy and charges
Sherburne County Resources
There are four main published sources that cover general Sherburne County history. These are all in our library collection.
- History of the Upper Mississippi Valley by Edward D. Neill, et al, 1881. We have only the Sherburne County portion of this book. There are sections on each township in the county. This is a good source for looking up the early settlement period and many early settlers are mentioned with short biographies included.
- Inventory of the County Archives of Minnesota: Sherburne County. Minnesota Historical Records Project, Division of Professional and Service Projects, Work Projects Administration, 1940. This book contains a summary of Sherburne County history as well as an annotated list of county archives and records and lists of county officials up to 1940.
- The Growth of Sherburne County 1875-1975 by Sherburne County Historical Society, edited by Cynthia Seelhammer and Mary Jo Mosher. This book contains excerpts from the Sherburne County Star News for each year. The excerpts are categorized by general subject such as Business, Agriculture, Clubs and Organizations, and People. The Sherburne County Star News was the main county newspaper and was based in Elk River, the county seat. The paper still exists and is known as the Star News.
- Sherburne County Heritage by Sherburne County Historical Society, 1986. This book contains short histories of communities, organizations, country schools, churches, and families in Sherburne County. All articles were submitted by the public.
- In addition, many articles about Sherburne County history have appeared in the Sherburne County Historical Society’s quarterly newsletter Historically Speaking. A sample article can be downloaded in PDF format here.