10775 27th Ave SE, Becker, Sherburne County, Minnesota 55308 / 763-261-4433
Biography Index

Select Transcriptions of Biographies in
History of the Upper Mississippi Valley

Select biographies of Sherburne County residents included in History of the Upper Mississippi Valley, by Edward D. Neill, published in 1881 are transcribed here. Read an index of names in the book. The book covers a period from about 1850 to 1880. The entire section is also transcribed for Haven Township.

The History Center has a copy of the book available in its reading room. If you see a name you'd like to check, you may also request a lookup by a volunteer. The book organizes the names by township, so cite the township, name, and page in your request. Transcriptions of these entries are by volunteer Phil Holm.


"C. H. Aikin, whose birthplace is in Delaware county, New York, was born on the 26th of December, 1826. He was raised on his father's farm until twenty years old, then was employed at carpenter work until 1855, when he came west and settled on a farm in St. Croix county, Wisconsin. After remaining on this farm for twenty-three years, he engaged in the hotel business, but discontinued that after one year, and traveled in Iowa as a salesman, until 1881, when he settled in Clear Lake township. Mr Aikin was married on the 15th of March, 1855, to Catherine Lockwood, of Ulster county, New York. They have two children." Page: 321.

"Alvin Bailey is a native of New York State, and was born in the year 1817. Early in life, he studied for the ministry, and after his ordination, preached in his native State for some time, going thence to Michigan, where he preached on a circuit until coming to Minnesota about 1863. After residing about a year in Champlin, Hennepin county, removed to Big Lake, and in 1878, to their present farm on section thirty-one, Livonia. Mr. Bailey has been twice married; first to Miss Louisa Bliss, who died in 1871, leaving four children; Melvin, Orville, Thomas, and Amelia. His present wife was Mrs. Catherine H. Rogers, to whom he was married in 1874. Mr. Bailey's place contains eighty acres, and adjoining it, Mrs. Bailey also owns a pleasantly located farm of the same size." Page: 330.

"Orlando Bailey was born in Chautauqua county, New York, in the year 1820. When he was quite young, the family removed to Washtenaw county, Michigan, where he attended school most of the time during the next twelve years. In 1846, he removed to Cook county, Illinois, twenty-eight miles west of Chicago, and in 1852, to his present farm in Big Lake township. For nine years he kept a stage station and hotel, but of late years has devoted his whole attention to farming. Mr. Bailey was Sheriff of Sherburne county, six years, has been County Commissioner and Justice of the Peace at different times, and also Postmaster for several years. He has been twice married, and has four children by the second marriage." Page: 316.

"Weston Bailey, a brother of our last subject [William H. Bailey], is also a native of Burlington, Pennsylvania, and was born on the 13th of July, 1834. Came to Minnesota in 1865, and has lived in the West ever since, five years of which, he carried on a saw-mill in Wisconsin, but sold it in the fall of 1880. Also built the first steam saw-mill at Buffalo, Wright county. He was married in 1859, to Marion Roberts, of Pennsylvania, who died in the fall of 1864, leaving two children, Jessie, now residing in Wisconsin, and John F. Mr. Bailey now resides in St. Paul." Page: 338

"William H. Bailey is a native of Burlington, Pennsylvania, and was born on the 20th of January, 1842. He came to Minnesota in 1864, and after residing two years in Dayton, Hennepin county, six years in Middleville, Wright county, and about a year in Clearwater, came to this township, and has lived here ever since. In company with his brother, Weston Bailey, he owns and operates a lumber, stave, and shingle mill, which is located on section ten. Mr. Bailey was married on the 19th of June, 1864, to Miss Orley L. Dodd, of Pennsylvania. Their children are Harry C., Ella E., Minnie B., and Perley A." Page: 338.

"F. Eugene Baldwin was born in Wayne county, Pennsylvania, on the 7th of March, 1825. His boyhood was spent attending school until 1838, when the family removed to St. Clair county, Illinois. He soon commenced to attend McHenry College, and later, Illinois College, graduating from the latter institution in 1846. Then studied law in the office of Judge Lyman Turnbull, and was admitted to the Bar in 1847. The same fall, he went to Boston, where he continued his law studies, and was admitted to the Massachusetts Bar. He went to California, with thousands of others in 1849, and was engaged in mining for some time. Returning to St. Clair county, Illinois, in 1851, he engaged in farming there, which he followed until 1855. Then he came to Minnesota, and after remaining in St. Anthony some time, removed to the farm on which he now lives. In 1872, he removed to Minneapolis, but returned to his farm in 1879, and has resided there since. Mr. Baldwin has taken a prominent part in public affairs since coming to Sherburne county. He has served two terms as County Attorney, was a member of the State Senate in 1859 and'60, and Chairman of the Board of Supervisors, besides filling other offices of responsibility. The town of Baldwin, in this county was named in his honor. Mr. Baldwin was married on the 2d of September, 1851, to Miss Elizabeth Wilkinson. They have ten children, six of whom are living."

"J. F. Bean, one of the first settlers of Livonia township, was born in Rockingham county, New Hampshire, in July, 1824. From the age of five to twenty-one years, he attended school and assisted his father on the farm and in the mill, after which, he taught school a couple of years. When about twenty-four years old, he set out for the West, and located in Wisconsin, where he remained until coming to Minnesota in 1852. He first settled at Elk River and improved a farm about two miles east of the town, but in 1856, came to the farm on which he now lives; at that time there were no improvemnets of any kind in this township. Was appointed Postmaster for Lake Fremont post-office in 1865, and still holds the position. Mr. Bean was married on the 15th of January, 1850, to Miss Betsy Harvey, of Maine. Of three children born to them, two are living."

"John Bell, a native of Mercer county, Pennsylvania, was born in the year 1849. When he was about six years old, the family came to Wisconsin and located about seven miles from La Crosse, where the subject of our sketch grow to manhood. When about fifteen years old, he commenced farming for himself, and has followed the plough ever since. He came to his present farm in Orrock township, in 1879; it contains one hundred and twenty acres and is located on sections twelve and thirteen. Mr. Bell was married in 1874, to Miss Rosella Proctor, who is a native of Fairfax, Vermont, born in 1854. They have two children, a girl of six, and a boy of two years." Page: 335.

"Henry Bettner, twenty-six years a resident of Clear Lake township, was born in Bavaria, on the 12th of May, 1799. When a boy of eight years, he ran away from home, and came by way of Paris and Havre de Grace to America. After remaining a short time in New York City, he went to live with the celebrated Dr. Jaynes, staying with him about fifteen years. In 1835, he enlisted in the First United States Dragoons, under Col. Kearney, serving five years. After being discharged he soon tired of civil life, re-enlisted in the First United States Infantry, and at the expiration of his term of service, again enlisted, this time in the Second United States Dragoons, under Colonel Twiggs. While in this regiment, Mr. Bettner took an active part in the Mexican war, receiving some serious wounds, from which he has never fully recovered. At the battle of Buena Vista, he preformed a daring feat, which is worthy of mention here. In the heat of the battle, and when the American forces were literally surrounded by the Mexicans, Mr. Bettner volunteered to carry a dispatch from Gen, Taylor through the Mexican lines to an American fort. He thus became the target for thousands of muskets, but, strange to say, he reached his destination with the dispatches, although pierced with bullets in many places. He was not able to return to the ranks, and was discharged one year and a half before the expiration of his term of elistment. He then located at St. Louis, Missouri, but the climate was not favorable to the healing of his wounds, and he came to Minnesota, settling in Clear Lake, in 1855; resided in section ten until 1874, when he removed to his present home. Mr. Bettner was anxious to take part in the late war, but was rejected on account of his previous wounds. He was married to Miss Elizabeth Fountain, of Greensboro, North Carolina." Page: 321.

Horatio Blasdell was born in Canada West, in the Year 1848. He came to Minnesota in 1870, and settled in Becker township, Sherburne county, but in 1877, removed to his present home in Livonia. Mr. Blasdell's farm is located on section thirty-two, and contains one hundred and sixty acres of good farming land. He was married in January, 1871, to Miss Angelina Eaton. Their children are, Bertha, Leona, Alfred, and Minnie. Page: 330

A. D. Boyington, one of the pioneers of this township, is a native of New York State, born on the 8th of April, 1833. He resided with his parents, in his native State, until 1854, when they came to Minnesota, and settled on section twenty-nine, Clear Lake township the subject of our sketch following, the same fall, and taking a farm adjoining that of his father. His grounds are among the most attractive in this section of country, the beauty of the scenery being enhanced by a very pretty little lake near his residence. Mr. Boyington was married on the 26th of April, 1860, to Miss Zanett Wilber. Of four children born to them three are living. Page: 322.

"John A. Brown was born near Lancaster, Erie county, New York, on the 6th of March, 1854. When he was three years old, the family removed to McHenry county, Illinois, and in 1861, to Minnesota, settling on section twelve, Blue Hill township, where he still resides. Mr Brown was married on the 21st of June 1874, to Miss Eliza Jane Danning, who was born near Toronto, Canada. They have one child, a daughter." Page 319.

"Thomas E. Brown was born in Ireland, in the year 1843. He was raised on a farm, and at the age of nineteen years went to England and was employed in a ship-yard for three years. He then came to America, and after six years in the lumber business at Glen Falls, New York; came to Minnesota and settled in Baldwin township, Sherburne county. In 1876, removed to Blue Hill, and settled on the farm which he now occupies on section fourteen. Mr. Brown was married in 1871, to Miss Helen Emily Costly, who was born in England, on the 18th of September, 1847, and came to America when twelve years old." Page 319.

"Mrs. Julia Brown, whose maiden name was St. Cyr, was born in Galena, Illinois, in the year 1836, and was married to Joseph Brown, on the 13th of June, 1852. Mr. Brown was born in Montgomery county, New York, in 1812. He came to Fort Snelling as early as 1836, and to Big Lake, in 1849, locating a claim on the southwest shore of Big Lake, which he entered the following year at $1.25 per acre. This was probably the second claim made in the town. He removed his family to this farm in 1854, and was engaged in farming and also kept a hotel, until his death, which occurred on the 19th of October, 1864. Mrs. Brown has had nine children, of whom six sons are living; three of these are railroading, in the separate capacities of conductor, baggagemaster, and brakeman." p. 316

"William Brown is of Scotch ancestry, and was born in Tyrone county, Ireland, on the 1st of June, 1828. When a boy, he went to Paisley, Scotland, and spent some time at the silk-weaver's trade. Returning to Ireland, he served an apprenticeship to the blacksmith trade, which occupation he followed in his native country until 1853. Coming then to America, he resided a few years in New York City and Glen Falls, thence, in 1855, to Michigan, and one year later, to Minnesota. After spending one summer at St. Anthony, located on a farm near Princeton, Mille Lacs county, on which he resided until coming to his present home, in Baldwin township in 1861. Mr. Brown was married on the 7th of June, 1866, to Annie Hillis. The union has been blessed with five children." Page: 310

James Campbell, whose birthplace is Cattaraugus county, New York, was born on the 9th of November, 1831. Resided with his parents until twenty-two years old, when he bought his father's farm and conducted it until 1868, when he came to Minnesota, and the following year, settled on his present farm. He took a trip to the Black Hills in 1877, but returned after a year, and has since given his entire attention to farming. Mr. Campbell was married in September,1857, to Miss U. Wright, who died on the 18th of May, 1872. They had four children, but two of whom are living." Page: 322

"Edward Castle dates his birth at Holmfirth, England, in the year 1832. He was reared to agricultural pursuits, and also learned the trade of weaver and spinner, when quite young. He came to America in 1863, and after a stay of four years in New York State, went to Indiana and remained five years; up to this time, since coming to America, he had been employed at his trade, that of woolen weaver. Then came to Minnesota and settled on his present farm. Mr. Castle has been Chairman of the board of Supervisors, besides holding other important local offices in Clear Lake township. He was married on the 28th of February, 1875 [sic], to Miss Nancy Booth, who died on the 13th of July, 1875 [sic]. Of six children born to them, five are living." Page: 322

"John Coffinger, one of the pioneers of Clear Lake, is a native of Saratoga county, New York, where his father, Walter Coffinger, was born, and his grandfather who was a soldier in the revolutionary war, settled at an early day. John was born on the 20th of February, 1820, and when but a child, removed with the family to Stueben county, Ohio, and a few years later, to Ashtabula county, Ohio. Here he grew up, and afterwards went to Michigan, where he followed agrecultural pursuits until coming to Minnesota in 1851. After prospecting for some time, he returned East, but came again to Minnesota the following years, and settled on his present farm. Mr Coffinger was member of the first board of Supervisors, one of the first Justices of the Peace, and has held numerous town offices since, discharging the duties of each with credit and ability. He was married on the 17th of August, 1842, to Miss Elizabeth Bridgeman. They have had but one child, Walter J., now deceased." Page: 322

"John Conliffe was born in the city of St. Johns, New Brunswick, on the 29th of June, 1828. His father dying, when he was but a child, he was placed with a man named Perkins, by whom he was raised, learning the mason's trade. At the age of eighteen years, he went to the State of Maine, and was employed at lumbering for six years. In the fall of 1856, he came to Minnesota, and two years later, located on a farm in Clearwater township, Wright county, which was his home until coming to his present farm in the spring of 1881. Mr. Conliffe was married on the 29th of June 1850, to Miss Susan Langdon. They have had ten children, eight of whom are living." Page: 322

"James Costello was born in Kerry county, Ireland, on the 15th of December, 1818. Came to America when a young man, and settled in Ohio, but removed to Minnesota in October, 1854. Resided in St. Paul ten years, and came to Elk River in October, 1864. Mr. Costello was married on the 26th of December, 1846, to Miss Mary Mulcare. Their family consists of four sons and five daughters, John, Patrick, James, Martin, Maggie, Ellen, Mary, Annie, and Gussie." Page: 300.

"A.J. Craig was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, on the 9th of February, 1842. His home was beneath the parental roof until about eighteen years of age, when he came to Minnesota, and after one year's stay at St. Anthony, went to Stillwater and engaged in logging and lumbering until 1867. Then came to Sherburne county and was employed for a number of years on Rum river, but in 1875, settled on his present farm. Mr. Craig is Chairman of the board of Supervisors and has held a number of other local offices. He was married on the 12th of April, 1867, to Hattie Whitney. Of four children born to them three are living." Page: 330.

"H. E. Craig was born in St. Andrew"s, New Brunswick, on the 15th of February, 1834. He was raised in his native town, and at the age of seventeen years, went to Boston and learned the carpenter's trade. After remaining in the latter city about five years, came to Minnesota and settled at Crow Wing, where, for several years, he worked at his trade during the summer months, and followed hunting and trapping during the winter. In 1861, he visited the Rocky Mountains in company with Sir Henry Chaplin, a member of the British Parliament, and Sir Frederick Johnson, who had come to this country for the purpose of hunting Buffalo. On the 4th of July, 1863, he enlisted in Captain Whitcomb's company of volunteers, and spent several years in fighting the Indians, being mustered out at Fort Snelling on the 9th of June, 1866. Then removed to what is now Orrock township and has lived here ever since. His farm consists of two hundred and forty acres and is located in section eighteen; its agricultural advantages are diversified by one hundred acres of meadow, one hundred acres suitable for wheat-raising, and forty acres of timber. Mr. Craig has become one of the prominent men of the county, and has been County Commissioner two years; he has also held the offices of Justice of the Peace, Town Clerk, Supervisor and other town offices, and is the present Postmaster. He was married in 1864, to Miss Hattie G. Orrock, who was born in Durham, Canada East, in the year 1843. They have five children, four daughters and one son." Page: 335.

"Nathaniel Crockett, whose birthplace is Dexter, Maine, was born the 24th of May, 1831. Was reared to farming pursuits, and came Minneapolis, Minnesota, in 1855. He was dealing in carriages and horses for two years, then for eight years, was in the grocery and provision business. Then went to Osseo, opened a general store and was also engaged in farming until 1872, when he came to Elk River, and has since been engaged in mercantile business and farming. Mr. Crockett was married on the 18th of march, 1862, to Miss Clarissa D. Stowell, of New Hampshire. Their children are, Frank, Albert, Silas M., William, Clara S., Nellie E., Jennie, and Leon L." Page: 300.

"A. B. Darling was born in Franklin county, Vermont, on the 26th of January, 1824. After taking the usual preparatory course, entered Bakersfield Academy, from which he graduated in 1844. The following year, he entered the office of the city engineer at Worchester, Massachusetts, as assistant, and in 1847, went to New York City and spent three years in the same profession. Then spent a few years in traveling, coming to Dubuque, Iowa, in 1854, and soon after, to St. Paul, where he was employed a short time, by Captain J. Ball, surveyor. In 1855, he made a surveying contract with the government, running the first lines west of Fort Ridgely, and dividing into townships, the Sioux Reservation. In 1859, he settled in Lynden township, Stearns county, where he engaged in farming, and was also assessor of that town seven years. Mr. Darling settled on his present farm in 1880. He was married on the 14th of March, 1858, to Miss Jerusha A. Ingalls. Five children gather around the family board." Page: 322.

Eben Davis is a son of Richard Davis, deceased, who was a native of Maine, and came to Minnesota in 1850. After remaining in Minneapolis about a year, he came to Elk River, and opened a farm about two miles west of the village, on the east bank of the Mississippi, where he lived until his death, which occurred in 1880. Eben came to this town with his parents, and has resided here ever since; his farm adjoins the old homestead. He was Sheriff of Sherburne county six years, and has also filled the office of Supervisor. Was in the employ of the government eight years, engaged in looking after government land in this State. Mr. Davis enlisted on the 7th of October, 1861, and served until the 7th of August, 1865. He was united in marriage with Miss Mary L. Ingersol, of Washington county, Maine, on the 4th of July, 1857. They have eight children, seven of whom are living: Herbert H., Bertha E., Andrew, Charles W., Lizzie C., Winthrop, Willie; who died on the 6th of December, 1880, aged seven months, and Helen B. Page: 301.

"S. C. Davis dates his birth in Lincoln, Maine, on the 14th of February, 1846. He was raised by his grandparents, remaining with them during his minority, after which he was engaged in logging and lumbering for about six years. Having thus accumulated sufficient means, he purchased the farm in this township [Big Lake], on which he has lived since 1873. Mr Davis was married on the 19th of October, 1879, to Miss Mary L. Foster. They have had three children, only one of whom, the eldest, is living." Page: 316 and 317.

"Lyman Dayton (deceased) was born in Southington, Connecticut, an the 25th of August, 1809. At an early age, he left home and commenced the "battle of life." Going to Providence, Rhode Island, he engaged as clerk in a store, and remained until he commenced buseness for himself at Pawtucket Falls, Rhode Island. his beginning was small, but in a very few years, he was known as one of the largest wholesale dry goods merchants of the East. The cares of business having affected his health, in 1849, he came to Minnesota, and located on Dayton's Bluff, St. Paul, and within a year, had purchased over five thousand acres of land, in the vicinity, a large portion of which is now included within the city limits. He was the founder of the town which bears his name at the mouth of Crow River, where he expended large sums of money to improve the water-power, and building mills and other buildings. He was also the projector of the Lake Superior & Mississippi railroad, and was mainly insturmental in securing for it an enormous state and congressional land grant of nearly two million acres of land. From his own private means, he expended upwards of $10,000 in making the preliminary surveys of the road, and others reaped the benefit of his exertion and capital. He was the first President of the company, and held that position until his death, never asking compensation for his services. His death occurred on the 20th of October, 1865, after a long illness form chronic gastritis, at his residence in St. Paul. Mr. Dayton was married on the 2nd of January, 1831, to Miss Maria Bates, of Cranston, Rhode Island. They have one son, Samuel C. Mrs. Dayton was again married on the 21st of March, 1873, to Michael Nell, and they now reside in Elk River."

"John H. Foster, whose birthplace is St. Johns, New Brunswick, was born in the year 1821. In 1856, he came to Minnesota and settled of section twenty-nine, Elk River township , which has been his home ever since. Mr. Foster is by trade a miller, and has followed that occupation most of the time since coming to the State. He is now running a mill at Spencer Brook, Isanti county. Was married on the 24th of December, 1845, to Miss Mary L. Sherwood, who died on the 23d of January, 1852. The result of this union was three children, only one of whom, Mary L., is now living. His present wife was Miss Eliza Wallace, of St. Johns, New Brunswick, The marriage taking place on the 9th of September, 1852. Of five children, four are living, John W., Nettie B,. Charles B., and Alice S." Page: 302.

"Alfred Francis is a native of England, born on the 27th of July, 1838. When he was infant, his parents came to America and settled in Dexter, New York, where Alfred grew to manhood. During the civil war, he enlisted in the Tenth New York Artillery, Company H, and served two years and eleven months. Soon after his return from the army, he came to Minnesota, arriving in Minneapolis in the spring of 1866, and was engaged in the manufacture of doors, sash, and blinds in that city, until coming to the farm on which he now lives, in 1871." Page: 323

"Daniel Frye dates his birth in Kennebec county, Maine, on the 23d of July, 1843. When twenty years old, he went to Lynn, Massachusetts, and was employed in a shoe factory about three years. He then spent two years as a sailor, after which, he came west and has since been a resident of Clear Lake township, buying and settling on his present farm in 1869. Mr. Frye has held a number of responsible local offices, and is the present Town Clerk. He was married on the 10th of January, 1866, to Miss Lavinia K. Davis. They have had seven children, but five of whom are living." Page: 322 and 323

Henry Galley is a native of England, born on the 24th of December, 1833. He came to America in 1850, and was engaged in the manufacture of chairs, in New York City five years, after which he came to St. Paul, Minnesota, and followed the same business until 1863. Then came to Elk River and established a furniture factory in Upper Town, but after one year, returned to New York and remained until the spring of 1866. He then returned to Elk River, and has resided here ever since, still engaged in the furniture business. His salesroom is in the village of Elk River, and the manufactory located in Upper Town. Mr. Galley was married on the 28th of September, 1854. Miss Elinor J. Caine. They have nine children, Ada J., Nellie, Lizzie, George L., Cora M., William, Carrie, Maud J., and Frederick. Page: 303.

"John W. Glassford is a native of La Fayette, Indianna, born on the 27th of September, 1841. In 1867, he came to St. Paul, Minnesota, and entered the employ of the St. Paul and Pacific Railroad Company, and with the exception of six months with the West Wisconsin Railroad Company, and eighteen months with the Green Bay and Minnesota Railroad Company, he has remained with that corporation ever since. In May, 1875, he came to Elk River, and has been station agent here ever since. Mr. Glassford is also serving his second term as County Auditor of Sherburne county. He was married on the 4th of October, 1876, to Miss Nellie Costello, of Elk River. Their children are, Edwin D., James W., and Loda W." Page: 302

William Watson Goundry dates his birth in Wood County, Ohio, on the 17th of September, 1834. The family removed to New York in 1840, and in the fall of 1856 the subject of our sketch came to Minnesota and engaged in lumbering at Princeton, Mille Lacs County. He afterwards lived at Henderson, Acton, Kandiyohi, and St Cloud, enlisting at the latter place in 1861, in the First Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, serving three years. Returning from the army, he again settled in St Cloud and resided there until the fall of 1867 when he came to his present farm on section 4 and has lived here most of the time since. Mr. Goundry was one of the organizers of Santiago Township, and has been Justice of the Peace, Town Clerk, and held other important offices. He has been twice married, first to Jennie Davis, of Maine, the marriage taking place in October of 1866. She died in December 1876, leaving three children, Mabel, Luther T., and Gilman. His present wife is Hannah J. Hawkins, of Indiana, to whom he was married on the 15th of December, 1878. They have one child, named Arthur W. Page: 338

"Morris Guyett is a native of the province of Quebec, Canada, and was born an the 6th of September, 1814. He remained on his father's farm until about eighteen years of age, when he engaged in agricultural pursuits on his own account, doing business both in New York State and in Canada, being located near the line. He then bought a farm in Canada, on which he resided twenty-five years. In 1865, he came to Minnesota, and settled on his present farm in Baldwin township. Mr. Guyett was married on the 23d of December, 1837, to Mrs. Mary Douglas, whose maiden name was Young. Of seven children born to them, six are living." Page: 310

"W. J. Harrington, whose birthpace is in Montgomery county, New York, was born on the 7th of November, 1825. When but a child, his father died, and at the age of twelve years, he removed with his mother to Ohio, and soon after commenced working on the neighboring farms, remaining in the State six years. He then removed with his mother to Indiana, and purchased a small farm, which he carried on until coming to Minnesota in 1861. He settled in Sherburne county, but on the breaking out of the Sioux Massacre, enlisted in Company C, of the First Minnesota Mounted Rangers, and served thirteen months. Returned to Indiana in 1864, and two years later, again came to Minnesota and settled in Isanti county, where he lived ten years, and came to his present farm in 1876. Mr Harrington was married in 1862, to Miss Annie V. Stevenson. They have had five children, four of whom are living." Page: 331.

"George F. Harvey was born in Herkimer county, New York, on the 30th of August, 1860. When but an infant, his parents, accompanied by his elder sister, came to St. Cloud, Minnesota. In 1861, his father, David Harvey, enlisted in the Seventh Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, and his mother returned with the family to New York State, where they were joined by the father, after the war. In 1866, the family returned to Minnesota and settled on their present farm in section four, Santiago township. The first Fourth of July celebration held in the settlement, was in a beautiful grove near Mr. Harvey's residence, and the flag used on that occasion is still preserved in the family. George F. carries on his father's farm and resides with the family. He was united in marriage with Miss Cora P. Carvell, of Glendorado, Benton County, on the 18th of October, 1880." Page: 338 and 339.

"Prince O. Hawes was born in Maine, in the year 1818. He came to St. Anthony, Minnesota, in 1855, and the following year, to Elk River, and opened a general store in Upper Town. After two years he engaged in farming, but at the end of a year, he again returned to mercantile business, which he continued for three years, and was also Postmaster, a portion of the time. Then took a trip to Washington Territory, but returned to Elk River in 1865, and after two years more in the mercantile line, engaged in farming, which occupation he still continues. His farm is located in section thirty-one, but his residence is in Upper Town. Mr Hawes has been twice married. First to Miss Margaret Mayall, in 1850, who died in 1859, leaving one daughter, named Olive A. His present wife was Miss Martha A. C. Godfrey, to whom he married in 1865." Page: 303.

"S. B. Heath is a native of the state of Maine, born on the 28th of March, 1828. After passing his boyhood, he was employed on his father's farm and in lumbering, until coming to Minnesota in 1851. He lived with his brother on his farm, in what in now Big Lake township, Sherburne county, and worked in the woods during the winter, for several years. In 1854, he returned to Maine, and followed farming until the breaking out of the war, when he enlisted in Company G, of the Third Maine Volunteer Infantry, and after nine months was discharged for disability incurred while in the service. Returned to his home in the Pine Tree State, but in 1866, came again to Minnesota, and settled on the farm where he has since lived. Mr. Heath was married to Miss Ellen Mayo. Of twelve children born to them, but nine are living." Page: 331

"Rueben Hiles was born in Armstrong county, Pennsylvania, on the 31st of May, 1828. He was employed on a farm, and in the iron works in his native State, until coming to Minnesota in 1851. He was then engaged in logging and lumbering, with his residence at Taylor's Falls, for six years, after which he lived in Wisconsin until 1861. In 1862, he again came to Minnesota, and after remaining in St. Paul a few years, settled on his present farm in 1865. Mr. Hiles' wife was Miss Ann Robertson, the marriage taking place on the 20th of August, 1868." Page: 331 and 332.

"Dwight W. Houlton, superintendent of the Elk River saw mills, was born in Houlton, Aroostook county, Maine, on the 10th of November, 1847. Came to Minnesota with his parents in 1853, they settling in Monticello, Wright county, where the subject of out sketch grew to manhood. During the civil war, he enlisted in the army, serving one year. In 1865, he came to Elk River, and has lived here ever since, engaged in lumbering. Mr. Houlton was married on the 16th of November, 1870, to Miss Eva A. Hildreth." Page: 304.

"Eli N. Houghton was born in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, on the 7th of September, 1845. When he was but three years old, the family came to Minnesota, and the subject of our sketch has resided here ever since. He was united in marriage with Mrs. Susan Cook, whose maiden name was Bell, in the year 1874. They have five children; three sons and two daughters." Page: 317

"Horatio Houlton, a brother of the subject of our last sketch, was born in Houlton, Aroostook county, Maine, on the 19th of August, 1834. He was raised to farming pursuits, receiving such education as could be obtained at a district school during the winter months. In 1854, Mr. Houlton set out for the West, and soon after, took a claim of one hundred and sixty acres, at Monticello, Wright county, Minnesota, which he cultivated for two years. In 1860 and '61, he was part owner of a train drawing Hudson Bay goods from St. Cloud to such a point on the Red River of the North, as could be reached by steamboats. During the Sioux war, in 1862, he had a beef contract from the government, which he held for two seasons. In 1864, he came to Elk River, opened a general store, and has been a prominent merchant here ever since, taking a deep interest in the developement of Sherburne county. To mercantile trade he added, in 1868, a saw-mill, which he built in connection with Thomas S. Nickerson and W. H. Houlton, but now runs it alone. He is also a member of the firm of H. Houlton & Co., proprietors of a saw-mill in St. Paul, and of the firm of Prince & Houlton, lumber dealers in West St. Paul. Mr. Houlton was united in marriage with Miss Melissa J. Harvey, also a native of the "Pine Tree State," in the fall of 1858. Their children are Effie M., William L., Charles H., Nettie, and Kate." Page: 303 and 304.

"William H. Houlton is a son of Samuel and Sarah Houlton, was born in Houlton, Maine, on the 29th of March, 1840. He was reared to agricultural pursuits, receiving a good common school education. His mother died when he was three years old, and in 1854, he went with his father to Warren county, Illinois, and in 1856, came to Monticello, Wright county, remaining there till of age. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company E, of the Eighth Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, served for a time on the frontier against the Indians under General Sully, and then went south, being in the Nashville campaign of General Thomas against Hood. He served three years, being promoted to a non-commissioned office; was in several engagements, but never received a wound. Returning to Monticello in August, 1865, he was soon after elected Register of Deeds, but resigned the next spring, came to Elk River, and was engaged in mercantile business in company with his brother, Horatio Houlton, about eight years. In the fall of 1873, he bought the interest of the heirs of George Albee, in the Elk River flour and saw mills, and formed a partnership with E. P. Mills, who owned half of the property; These mills are still conducted by this firm, under the name of Mills and Houlton. Since settling in Sherburne county, Mr. Houlton has served six years as County Treasure, and was State Senator in 1879. He was married on the 3d of March, 1870, to Miss Freddie Lewis, of Monticello, Minnesota. Their children are, Sam R. and Helen." Page: 303.

Samuel Hunter was born in Canada, on the 24th of July, 1837. He was raised on his father's farm, and at eighteen years of age, went to work in a saw and flouring mill owned by his father, continuing in that employment until coming to Minnesota, in 1865. Mr. Hunter at once settled on his present farm, and has lived here ever since. His occupation is that of farmer, but usually works on the river during the driving season. He was married on the 18th of October, 1858, to Miss Sally Holdon. They have eight children. Page: 331.

"E. F. Hurd, one of the pioneers of Clear Lake, was born at Newfield, Maine, on the 2d of May, 1829. His parents died when he was quite young, and he went to live with an uncle, attending school and working on the farm until seventeen years of age, when he began to learn the carpenters's trade at Bangor, remaining there until 1855. He then came to Minnesota, and located the farm on which he now lives, but spent the greater portion of his time until 1860, working at his trade in Minneapolis, and since then, has devoted his time chiefly to the improvement of his farm, with only an occasional return to his trade. Mr. Hurd has been County Commissioner, two terms, and held other important offices. He was married on the 7th of August, 1854, to Miss Fannie A. Macomber, of Bangor, Maine. One son, James Franklin, is living, and one is deceased, whose name was George." Page: 323.

"John G. Jameson (deceased) was born in Scarborough, Maine, and came to Minnesota in 1851. The same year, in company with Ard Godfrey, bought a farm on section thirty-three, which included the water-power, of Silas Lane, who had located there the previous year. In 1855, the property was divided, Godfrey taking the water-power and Jameson the farm, on which he lived until his death, which occured in 1869, He was married to Miss Nancy Godfrey, who still resides on the old homestead, which is carried on by her son William. They have six children, Henry M., John G., William, Charles D., Louisa, and Gambert." Page: 304

Alanson Jones dates his birth in Wyoming county, New York, on the 16th of November, 1827. When he was a boy, the family removed to Cattaraugus county, where the subject of our sketch grew to manhood. In 1864, he enlisted in the One hundred and eighty-eighth New York Volunteer Infantry, served about one year, and was present at the surrender of General Lee. On being discharged, he returned to New York State and carried on the old farm until coming to Minnesota in 1868. He came at once to Clear Lake, and the following year, selected his present farm on section twenty, situated on the banks of Jones' Lake." Page: 323.

"Drayton Jones dates his birth in Wyoming county, New York, on the 2d of April, 1824. In 1841, removed with the family to Cattaraugus county, where he grew to manhood. When he was twenty-one years old, went to work in a saw-mill, remaining there one year and a half, and afterwards carried on his father's farm until 1865. He then came to Minnesota and located in the eastern part of Clear Lake township, but in 1868, removed to his present farm, and, with the exception of three years' absence, has resided here ever since. Mr. Jones was married on the 25th of October, 1848, to Miss Sarah Thorp. They have five children, three of whom are living." Page: 323.

"Henry Jones was also born in Wyoming county, New York, his birth being dated on the 19th of September, 1825. When fourteen years old, he went to live with an uncle in Wayne county, but subsequently went with his parents to Cattaraugus county, where he followed farming for a number of years. In 1852, he went to California, but after three years returned to Cattaraugus county and was engaged in farming until coming to Minnesota in 1862. He purchased his present farm in 1866, although his whole attention has been given to agricultural pursuits since coming to the State. Mr. Jones was married in December, 1857, to Miss Margaret Campbell. They have been blessed with six children." Page: 323

"John Kaufman, whose birthplace is in Sullivan county, Pennsylvania, was born on the 13th of August, 1849. Came with his parents to Minnesota in 1854 or 1855, locating in Carver county, where the family still resides. He made his home with his parents until 1874, then came to Clear Lake and selected his present farm, then in a wild state. Mr. Kaufman was a member of the board of Supervisors in 1878, and is rapidly placing himself among the foremost families of this township. He was married on the 13th of January, 1873, to Miss Mary Imholte, of Stearns county. They have been blessed with four children." Page: 323 and 324

"John Kight dates his birth in Jackson, Ohio, on the 14th of December, 1842. When he was about two years old, the family removed to Iowa, which was the home of our subject for seventeen years. Then went to Missouri, but soon returned and settled in Wisconsin, where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits until coming to his present farm four years ago. During the war, he enlisted at La Crosse, in Company B, of the Fiftieth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, but was not called into active service, being discharged at the close of the war, after having served three months. Mr. Kight was married in 1863, to Miss Rosina Nesler. They have nine children, six sons and three daughters." Page: 335

"G. L. Knapp was born in Barnston, Canada, in the year 1838, where he grew to manhood, receiving a good common school education. He was among the early settlers of this township [Orrock], and was married in 1866, to Miss Jeanette Orrock, a daughter of Robert Orrock, of this town. They have been blessed with two children, a son and daughter. Mr Knapp resides with his father-in-law and has the management of the farm." Page: 335.

"B. H. Lee was born in Wayne county, Pennsylvania, on the 2d of April, 1823. He came to Minnesota in 1855, and located the farm on which he now lives, the same year. Mr. Lee assisted in the organization of Clear Lake township, was the first Assessor, and has made it his home ever since. He was married in October, 1858 to Miss Mary Stevenson, daughter of John H. Stevenson, one of the pioneers of this township. Of five children which they have had, but three are living." Page: 324

Peter L. Lind, a native of Halsingland, Sweden, was born on the 11th of February, 1837. He grew to manhood in his native county, being engaged in lumbering. Came to America in July, 1870, and after spending a few months in Anoka, came to this township [Becker] and settled on section ten, where he now resides. Mr. Lind experienced many trying hardships during the first years of his residence here, but by industry and perseverance is now one of the most prosperous farmers in the township. He was married on the 5th of November, 1865, to Miss Mary Peterson, of Sweden. They have but one child, a daughter, who died at the age of one year. They have three adopted children, named Carrie Alexon, John Thompson, and Lucena Lind, the latter taking the family name. Page: 314.

"Alvah T. Lougee was born in New Hampshire, on the 9th of March, 1823. When he was twenty-one years old, went to the state of Maine, where he lived until he came to Minnesota in 1854. He settled at Stillwater, and was employed in the lumber mills at that place for five years, going thence to Kanabec county, where he was engaged in farming, and also held the office of County Treasurer for seven years. In 1867, he came to this township [Livonia] and has lived here ever since. Mr. Lougee is Town Clerk of Livonia, having held the office five years." Page: 333.

Alfred Markham, a brother of the subjects of the two preceding sketches, [Russel Markham and H. Markham] was born in Clearwater, Wright county, on the 20th of August, 1857, Being one of the first white children born in the town. During his boyhood, he received such education as the public schools of his native place afforded, residing with his parents until 1876, when he settled on his present farm, in Clear Lake township. He was married on the 6th of October,1876, to Miss Velonia Jones. They have one child, named Gracie E. Page: 324

H. Markham is also a native of McHenry county, Illinois, and was born on the 15th of December, 1839. His parents removed to Minnesota in 1854, and selected their residence as mentioned in the preceding sketch. [Russel Markham] In 1857, the family removed to Cannon Falls, Goodhue county, but did not remain long, returning to their former farm in Wright county. In 1862, the subject of our sketch enlisted in Company E, of Eighth Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, serving three years. Returning from the army, Mr. Markham resided with his parents until 1874, when he removed to the farm on which he now lives. He was united in marriage with Miss Emma M. White, on the 11th of October, 1876. They have one child, named Ada B. Page: 324.

Russel Markham dates his birth in McHenry county, Illinois, on the 3d of January, 1851. In 1854, the family came to Minnesota, and settled in Clearwater township, Wright county, where his parents still reside. In 1870, he obtained a situation with the corps of engineers then surveying for the Northern Pacific Railroad, continuing in that employment for three years, after which he spent four years in St. Cloud and Sauk Rapids. He settled on his present farm in 1877, and has since given his whole attention to its improvement. Me Markham was married on the 20th of December, 1874, to Miss Cora M. Benson of Clearwater, Minnesota. Four children gather around the family board. Page: 324

"R. M. Mayo dates his birth in Waldo county, Maine, on the 9th of May, 1833. He was reared in his native State, and engaged in lumbering until coming to Minnesota in 1855. Followed his former occupation here until the breaking out of the war, when he enlisted in Company E, of the First Minnesota Volunteer Infantry. Served with some distinction until wounded, near Fairfax Court House, after which he was compelled to lay in the hospital for months, and finally was discharged for disability on account of his wounds. He then returned to his native State and remained until 1866, when he settled on his present farm in Livonia. Mr, Mayo was united in marriage with Addie E. Burroughs, on the 24th of January, 1876." Page: 332

"Alfred Merrifield, a native of the state of Maine, was born in August, 1835. He came to Minnesota in 1862, and has resided in Sherburne county ever since. He has been employed in the pineries and on the river most of the time. In 1874, he bought a farm on section thirty-one, Elk River township, and now resides there. Mr. Merrifield was married to Miss Harriet A. Lovett, of his native state. Their children are Lora E., Alice M., Elwin S., Weston G., and Minnie B." Page: 306.

"James B. Mills was also born in Vermont, in the year 1838. Came west with the family, and remained with them most of the time until 1857, when he went to Glencoe, Minnesota, and two years later to Breckenridge, where he remained until 1861. Then went to Otter Tail City, and was employed in the land office one year, after which, he came to St. Cloud, which was his home for seven years, a portion of the time being engaged in the transportation business. In 1869, he came to Elk River, but having previously disposed of his interest in the mill business here, as mentioned in a previous sketch [Edward P. Mills' bio sketch], remained but a few years only, going to Texas, where he was engaged in stock raising and also carried on a harness shop, until 1880, when he returned to Elk River. Mr. Mills soon open a harness shop at Upper Town, which he still continues." Page: 306.

"Edward P. Mills, the son of the subject of our last sketch [James H. Mills], was born in Vermont, on the 15th of June, 1831. Came to Beloit, Wisconsin, with his parents, and remained until 1851, when he came to St. Anthony, Minnesota, taught school during the winter, and in the spring of 1852, engaged in mercantile business at that place, which he continued until 1855. Then went to Faribault, and remained until his removal to Elk River in 1868. Bought half interest in the lumber and flouring mills at this place, from his brother, J. B. Mills, and has continued the business ever since. His sister Mrs. Albee, owned the other half, but subsequently sold it to William H. Houlton, and the firm has since been Mills and Houlton. Mr. Mills was married in October, 1855, to Miss Stata M. Sanborn. Their children are John S., Harry D., Mary, and Frederick." Page: 306.

"James H. Mills, one of the most respected pioneers of Elk River, was born in Essex county, Vermont, on the 9th of March, 1798. He was reared on his father's farm until fourteen years of age, when he went to Portland, and entered his uncle's store, as a salesman. After several years experience behind the counter, he left his uncle and engaged in mercantile business in Portland, Brunswick, and Bangor, until 1840, when he returned to his native place. In 1846, he set out for the West, and arriving in Beloit, Wisconsin, again embarked in the mercantile line, which he continued until his retirement in 1880. From Beloit, he came to St. Anthony, Minnesota, in 1854, and two years later, went to Faribault, and thence in 1867, to Elk River, where he still resides, a hale old man, in his eighty-fourth year. Mr. Mills was married in 1827, to Miss Naomi C. Webster, of New Hampshire, and hand in hand they yet travel together, nearing the shore of the bright beyond. They have been blessed with four children; Susan, who married George C. Albee, and was left a widow, on the 10th of June, 1865, Edward P., Octavia A., and James B." Page: 306.

Benjamin F. Noel is a native of Brush Creek, Ohio, and was born in December, 1841. When about four years old, his parents removed to Illinois, where Benjamin resided ten years. In 1855, he came to Minnesota, and after about six years spent at Sauk Rapids and St. Cloud, enlisted in the First Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, and served three years, and afterwards, in Hancock's Veterans, one year. Returning to Minnesota in 1865, he settled in Santiago township, and has lived here ever since. He was the first Town Clerk, and with the exception of two years, has held some town office ever since. Mr. Noel was married on the 2nd of Aug., 1868, to Mrs. Harriet Bigelow. They have three children, Adolphus L., Nellie V., and Mary E. Mrs. Noel has two children by her former marriage, named Hattie E. and George A. Bigelow. Page: 339.

"Robert Orrock, the pioneer of the township bearing his name, was born in Scotland, on the 15th of July, 1805. He came to America in 1831, and settled in Quebec, Canada, but removed to Minnesota in 1856, and settled on the farm which he now occupies, on section twenty-nine [Orrock Township]." Page: 335

"A. C. Potter, whose birth-place is in Onondaga county, New York, was born on the 3d of November, 1817. The family removed to Pennsylvania in 1828, and when our subject became of age, he engaged in farming and hotel business at Tioga county, in that State, continuing the same until 1852. He then went to Canada, but soon returned, and settled in Baraboo, Wisconsin, where he was connected with Selah Chamberlain, in railroad construction. Came to St. Paul in 1858, and assisted in building the first miles of the St. Paul & Pacific Railroad, the first in this State. He has remained in the employ of the latter company most of the time since, and in 1866, was placed in charge of Clear Lake station, holding the position ever since. Mr. Potter was married in August, 1846, to Miss Mary H. Currier. They have had eleven children, eight of whom are living." Page: 324

"Henry Pruferwas born in Frankfort, on the Oder, Prussia, on the 4th of December, 1842. Received his early education in his native place, and, after graduating at the high school, took a course in the agricultural college at Berlin, after which he began practical farming. In October, 1864, he became a soldier in the Prussian army, took part in the war with Denmark, was with the army in Bohemia, and also participated in the Franco-Prussian war, in 1870. For deeds of valor on the field of battle, in the last mentioned war, he was decorated with the "Iron Cross of the German Empire," an honor conferred on but few. Mr Prufer came to America in 1872, and after a year's employment as clerk in East Saginaw, Michigan, came to Minnesota, spent three years in hunting and trapping, and then settled on the farm in Clear Lake township, where he now resides." Page: 324

"Ludwig Robbers was born in Prussia, on the 14th of April, 1832. The family came to America in 1844, and settled in Evansville, Indiana, where the subject of our sketch soon became engaged as a clerk in a store. At the age of seventeen years, was apprenticed to a harness-maker, and after learning the trade, opened a shop of his own in the above city. In 1856, he came to Minnesota, and entered the employ of J. W. Tenvoorde at St. Cloud, remaining with him five years. He then opened a saloon in the latter city, and with the exception of a few months in St. Paul, conducted it until coming to his present farm in 1878. Mr. Robbers was a member of the State Legislature in 1869, besides holding a number of local offices while a resident of St. Cloud. He has been twice married; first to Miss Mary Lansing, who died in 1861, and on the 13th of January, 1862, he was again married, to Miss Esther McAvay." Page: 328

"Samuel Roberts, whose birth-place is in Bucks county, Pennsylvania, was born in the year 1818. In 1837, he removed to Tecumseh, Michigan, where he learned the carriage makers' trade, and followed it for a number of years at that place. In 1856, he came to Minnesota, and settled in Big Lake township, locating a farm of one hundred acres, in section thirty-six, near Bailey's Station, in the improvement of which he has since been engaged. Mr. Roberts was married in 1844, to Miss Harriet Bailey, who is now deceased. He chose for his second wife Mrs. Annie Prescott. They have five children." Pages: 317 and 318.

"Samuel Robertson dates his birth in Canada, on the 28th of March, 1851. His mother died when he was quite young, and at the age of ten years, he began to work on the neighboring farms, but soon after became employed on the boats running on the lakes, continuing that occupation for several years, and afterwards spent some time in railroading. In 1871, he settled on the farm in Livonia, where he has since lived. Mr. Robertson was married on the 14th of July, 1873, to Miss A. Sisson. Of six children born to them, but three are living." Page 333

"Abel Slaback was born near Cincnnati, Ohio, where he was reared until about sixteen years old, partially learning the blacksmith trade. Then went to Tippecanoe county, Indiana, remained about two years and returned to his native State, where he completed his trade. In 1854, went to California and for a number of years was engaged in stock-raisin. He came to Orrock township, Sherburne county, in 1871, and in 1880, removed to Blue Hill and settled on his present farm in section thirty-four. Mr. Slaback has been twice married. His first wife was Miss Louisa Jane Kilgore, who died near Dayton, Ohio, in 1862, leaving five children. His present wife was Mrs. Bertha Smith, whose maiden name was Morningstar, and they have been blessed with seven children. Mrs. Slaback has two children by her former marriage." Page: 320.

"J. B. Spencer, son of Benjamin N. Spencer, whose memoir appears in these pages, was born in Porter county, Indiana, on the 9th of January, 1844. While quite young, he came to Minnesota with his parents, accompanying them to Isanti county; his father was the first settler in that locality, and the township bears his name. They came to this township [Livonia] in 1864, and six years later, the subject of this sketch removed to his own farm, which he had previously bought. Mr. Spencer was married on the 7th of October, 1870, to Miss Sarah Dennis. Of five children which they have had, four are living." Page: 333.

"John H. Stevenson, the oldest living settler in Clear Lake township, was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on the 26th of October, 1807. His mother died when he was a child, and he was placed with his uncle, but ran away from him when fifteen years old, with one cent in his pocket, which he paid for toll at the gate on the road leading out of the city. He went to Pittsburg, and was employed as a nail cutter, about two years, going thence to Harrison county, Ohio, where for several years, he was engaged in agricultural pursuits. About 1833, he went to Illinois, where he conducted a farm, grist mill, and distillery, residing in that State until 1850. He then started for Minnesota with eighty-nine head of horned cattle, arriving at the site of his present farm in July of the same year. At that time Mr. Stevenson's stock was about all there was in this section of country. He was a member of the first board of County Commissioners; and also, of the first board of Supervisors, and has held a number of local offices since." Page: 323

"William T. Struble was born in New Jersey, on the 8th of April, 1837. When a young man, he learned the painter's trade, which has been his chief occupation through life. Came to Elk River in 1867, and has since devoted himself to his business, doing all kinds of plain and ornamental painting and paper hanging. Mr. Struble was married in 1864, to Miss Emma J. Drake, of his native State. Their children are, Emma, John C., Isadore T., and Anna I." Page: 308.

"Joseph Sykes, a native of Yorkshire, England, was born on the 8th of November, 1840. When but eight years old, he began working in a cotton factory, which he continued until coming to America, in 1864. Was employed in woolen mills in different places in the state of Maine until 1870, when he went to New Albany, Indiana. After a year spent in a woolen mill at the latter place, he came to Minnesota, and settled on a farm in Becker township, Sherburne county, but in 1876, removed to his present home in Clear Lake. Mr. Sykes was married on the 8th of September, 1865, to Miss Elizabeth Chapman, his present worthy partner."

"James F. Taylor is a native of Michigan, born on the 8th of October, 1846, He was reared to agricultural pursuits, and, through life, has followed that occupation. Came to Elk River township in 1879, and bought one hundred and sixty acres of land on section seven, where he now lives. Mr. Taylor's wife was Miss Mary C. Bunker, of Jackson county, Michigan. They have five children; Elmer A., Ida J., Lydia P., Emma, and Cora." Page: 308 and 309.

John A. Wagner was born in New York City, in November, 1835. At the age of seventeen years, he went to Michigan, and two years later, came to Minnesota, and soon after selected his present farm in what is now Becker township. In February, 1860, he went to Pike's Peak, and spent over two years in Virginia City. Then enlisted in the Second Colorado Cavalry, and served two years as private scout, "bushwhacking," with Quantrell's band, in Missouri and Arkansas. Was wounded several times, once receiving a charge of buckshot in the breast, the scars of which he yet carries. At the close of the war, he returned to his farm, and in July, 1865, married Kate L. Foster, of Clear Lake, formerly of New York. They have had nine children, seven of whom are living: John, Katie, Ruby, Irvin, Herbert, Ernest, and Frank. Mr. Wagner is one of the representative men of the county. Has held the office of Assessor nine years, and in 1879, was elected County Commissioner; he has also been Constable four years, Chairman of Supervisors, and Clerk of the school district, a number of terms. Page: 315.

"E. G. Warner was born in the province of Quebec, Canada on the 23d of October, 1850. While he was yet a child, the family came to Minnesota and settled in Lynden township, Stearns county, but the following year removed to Clearwater, Wright county. After residing two years at the latter place, they returned to Lynden and still live there. When the subject of our sketch was twenty-one years old, his father gave him a farm in the latter town, on which he lived until coming to his present home in 1880. Mr. Warner was united in marriage with Miss Fannie W. Lock, on the first of January, 1876. They have one child living, named Ernest, and one, named Ray, is deceased." Page: 325

"Harry H. Wheaton was born in Vermont, in January, 1852. When thirteen years old he came to Michigan, and after spending three years at school, went to Iowa, and was clerk in a store until 1874, when he came to Elk River. He soon formed a partnership with Mr. Norval, under the name of Norval and Wheaton, and engaged in mercantile business, which they still continue. This firm does an extensive business, the sales of 1880 amounting to nearly $20,000. Mr Wheaton was married to Miss Mattie Boobar, the wedding taking place on the 9th of August, 1877." Page: 309

Edgar White was born in Franklin county ,New York, on the 16th of July,1839. When he was about eight years old, the family removed to Illinois, where Edgar grew to manhood. At the age of twenty-one years, he took his father's farm, and carried it on, his parents living with him until coming to his present home in 1872. Since coming to Clear Lake, Mr. White has been closely identified with the progress of the town, and has held the office of Supervisor and Assessor. He was married on the 29th of June, 1865, to Miss Emma Thurston, of Pennsylvania; they have five children. Page: 325

H. T. White was born in Clinton county, New York, residing with his parents until seventeen years of age, when he went to work in an iron foundry at Wellington, and was employed there three years. In 1848, he went to Illinois and settled on a farm in DeKalb county, where he lived until coming to his present farm in 1873. Mr. White is one of the representative men of Clear Lake, having held nearly every town office since coming here. Mrs. White's maiden name was Almira Woolsey. They have four children; Emma M., Adah A., Wilber G., and Charles E. Page: 325.

"Edward L. Whitney, whose birthplace is in the state of Maine, was born on the 15th of September, 1851. When but a child, his parents came to Minnesota and settled in Anoka, but after a two year's stay, removed to Oak Grove township, in the same county, and in 1865, came to Livonia, where family has since lived. Mr. Whitney resided with his parents until removing to his present farm in 1879. He was married on the 20th of June, 1876, to Miss Sarah Lougee. They have two children." Page: 334.

Lemuel Williams, a native of Green county, New York, was born in the year 1813. Was raised in his native county, receiving a common school education, and afterward resided in Livingston county. In 1860, he came to Minnesota and settled on section twenty-six, Big Lake township, which is his present home. He has held the office of Sheriff of Anoka County, and also County Commissioner and Justice of the Peace, at present filling the latter position. Mr. Williams has been twice married. His first wife was Miss Adelia Kinecutt, of New York, the marriage taking place in 1832; and his present wife was Mrs. Harriet Hinnman, of Ontario county, New York, to whom he was married in 1860. Six children were the result of the first marriage, and his present wife is the mother of one. Page: 318.

"W. D. Wiltse is a native of Onondaga county, New York, and was born on the 17th of August, 1833. When he was fifteen years old, the family removed to Cattaraugus county, where his father kept a hotel. About 1854, he opened a farm in the mountains of Cattaraugua county, residing there until about 1866, when he came to Minnesota, and settled in this township [Clear Lake], but did not remove to his present farm until 1870. Mr. Wiltse has held the offices of Supervisor, Assessor, and other town offices, and has been Justice of the Peace for the last six years. He was married on the 7th of June, 1853, to Loretta Morgan. They have been blessed with three children." Page: 325

"S. F. Woods was born in Waldo county Maine, on the 29th of May, 1838. Came with his parents to Anoka, Minnesota, about 1855 or '56, and was engaged in lumbering until the breaking out of the war, when he enlisted in the Second Minnesota Light Artillery, serving three years. In 1867, he located his present farm, and has lived here ever since. Mr. Woods was married in 1862, to Miss Lucy Tilton, of Anoka county, who died in 1869 leaving three children." Page: 334

"Benjamin Wright is a native of Warwickshire, England, and was born on the 29th of May, 1828. He came to America in 1852, and after two years spent in New York State, came to Minnesota, and settled in Hassan, Hennepin county, where he was a member of the first board of Supervisors. In 1863, he moved to Illinois, but in 1877, returned again to Minnesota, and settled on his present farm. Mr. Wright is Justice of the Peace in Livonia township." Page: 333.